BRIEF HISTORYOF THE HOSPITAL
At the end of the 19th Century, the women of India were prepared to die rather than receive treatment in general hospitals in the presence of male patients. When Queen Victoria was informed of the plight of these women, she asked Lady Hariot Dufferin, the wife of the Viceroy of India at that time, to help find a solution. Lady Hariot Dufferin decided to establish hospitals exclusively for women and children. These Dufferin Hospitals were located in Karachi, Quetta, Shikarpur & Hyderabad in Pakistan and Delhi, Nagpur and Calcutta in India. She appealed to the local philanthropists to donate to the Dufferin Fund in order to build these hospitals. In response to her appeal Mr. Eduljee Dinshaw, a renowned philanthropist, established the Lady Dufferin Hospital,- Karachi, by a princely donation of Rs. 100,000/-, in 1894, as a Charitable Institute.
The foundation laying ceremony of Eduljee Dinshaw Wing was performed on the12th of November 1894 by Lady Elgin and Kincardine and completed by 1898.
At the partition of India the Dufferin group of hospitals that belong to Pakistan met with different fates. The Karachi Hospital becomes an independent hospital managed by a committee of philanthropists and socially conscious Karachites. Because of its independence the hospital prospered.