Educating for excellence and a sustainable future
The Lady Dufferin Hospital's teaching program has always been an integral part of the hospital's founding charter. When the Countess of Dufferin Fund was established in 1885, it allowed and encouraged Indian women to come forward to work as professional nurses, midwives and doctors in a non-missionary environment for the first time.
Cowasjee School of Midwifery
The school is a continuation of the Phyllis Louise Lawrence Institute, which was established in 1912 with the generous donation of Nadirshaw Eduljee Dinshaw, the son of Eduljee Dinshaw, the original benefactor of the Lady Dufferin. It was among the first institutions in the country to be accorded formal recognition by the Central Board of Midwives, UK. The excellence of the training program allowed trainees qualifying at the school to sit for the Central Midwives Board (CMB) examination in London without any further training in the UK. In February 2012 the school relocated to a newly built building in the hospital grounds thanks to generosity and support of the Cowasjee Foundation. Today an average of 30 students graduate every year, and the majority find employment at the Lady Dufferin Hospital.
Postgraduate & Undergraduate Education
The hospital's training program in obstetrics and gynecology was also among the first in Pakistan to be recognized for MRCOG training by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists in the UK in 1961. The hospital is also accredited with the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Pakistan (CPSP) for postgraduate training in Obstetrics &Gynecology for FCPS. The Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC) has granted the status of approved training facility for house jobs in Obstetrics and Gynecology to the hospital.